There must be a demonstrated need for adequate housing, which include one or more of the following:
- Currently living in overcrowded or unsafe conditions
- Currently living in subsidized housing
- Currently living in substandard housing, or homeless
- Housing expenses greater than 30% of income
- Unable to get a home loan from any source
Ability to Pay
Our Partner Families earn from 30 to 80 percent of the area’s median income (AMI), with a target AMI of 60 percent or below, adjusted for family size.
(Our target of 60% AMI is equal to about $37,860 (Gross income from ALL sources) for a family of four)
Consider income amounts including wages, Social Security, Social Security disability, child support and other forms of consistent, reliable income.
Willingness to Partner
Willingness to Partner with Habitat by doing “sweat equity.”
- Minimum total hours:
- 2 Adult Family = 400 hours*
- 1 Adult Family = 250 hours*
* Some of these hours can be donated by friends and family
- Partner Families are required to complete at least 18 hours of sweat equity each month.
- Attendance at Homeownership Classes is mandatory.
- Applicants must be citizens or legal residents of the United States.
- Applicants must have lived or worked in the Cape Fear Region for at least one year.
Once accepted into the Habitat Program, applicants will be required to attend quarterly financial verification meetings.
The families who apply to purchase homes from Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity will be selected by the Homeowner Selection Committee in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, religion, marital status, or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance programs.